Saturday, January 12, 2013

"A Thousand Words"

Silence can be really golden. Our daily lives revolve around socializing and expressing our thoughts with each other in daily discourse whether at home, the work place or at school. The advent of social media has also presented an alternate opportunity to express our thoughts to a selected audience and just like the spoken word, we have to exercise proper decorum.  It's only right that we have our "me time", wherein we could just listen to the voices in our heads instead of what is produced by our vocal cords or instinctively posting our thoughts in Facebook.

My sister lent me a DVD entitled: "A Thousand Words" with comedian, Eddie Murphy as lead actor. I thought it was just the usual comedy, so I just watched it like any other film I saw.

Little did I know that the film centers on a simple side of life that is most taken for granted: the spoken word.

This film also reminds me of a proverb by Pythagoras that goes: "Do not say a little in many words, but a great deal in a few". It goes without saying that learning how to be silent at the right time and speaking only when necessary would make the spoken word truly meaningful.

It's a relief to know that there are alternative forms of expression through music, painting and even writing. However, a certain amount of balance should also be exercised even with these forms.

If you had only a thousand words in a lifetime, what would you choose to say? Who would you say it to and what situations would you choose to use your words?

Here's a trailer of the film that I definitely recommend and is worth your while:

Eddie Murphy in "A Thousand Words"






No comments:

Post a Comment