Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Duality of Learning

We have started out in life knowing nothing and we are who we are now because of what we have learned throughout our unique experiences, interactions with different people from different generations, different circumstances good or bad or simply from our homes where we grew up.

It's interesting to think back that half of my life was spent studying in schools and universities and back then I thought that after graduating, I could spend a less hectic life away from the academic rigors of the intellectual pursuit of excellence.

Nevertheless, now as an educator myself, it is only now that I get to appreciate the learning process brought about by my experiences with students and life itself. It is very much different from the way I learned in school - less tedious, but more insightful and fulfilling.

Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoyed studying in school back then. But I have to admit that I love the practical learning process now than when I was a student. It's now that I get to realize that to be a good educator, I also have to be the best learner and in being an efficient learner, I could be the best educator in my own right.

So is the same for learners of different ages and circumstances. Learners can be also teachers in their own right, because their experiences are unique and if shared with others is in a sense: "teaching" to a certain extent.

If people ask me what I have learned, I can always say that learning goes beyond the walls of a school, it is not merely academic in nature and it is continuous and progressive. Life is multifaceted and we can all learn from various areas that life has to offer, but most importantly -  sharing or teaching what we learn can enrich  our lives and others profoundly.

We are all therefore learners and teachers in our own right.

What about you? What have you learned lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment